Hi John.

When I logged on this morning after checking my email I checked the status of my CDRW drive. To my dismay I discovered that I no longer have a working CDRW, either as supermount or as SCSI. It no longer appears on my hardware list at all and is completely unavailable.

You asked for my fstab and lilo files which I'm including below.

My fstab currently (following reboot this AM) reads:

/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
/dev/hda8 /home ext3 defaults 1 2
none /mnt/hdb supermount dev=/dev/scd0,fs=auto,ro,--,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=vfat,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,sync,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda1 /mnt/win_c vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda5 /mnt/win_d vfat iocharset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hda7 swap swap defaults 0 0

My lilo.conf reads:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=150
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="devfs=mount hdb=ide-scsi"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label=failsafe
root=/dev/hda6
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="failsafe devfs=nomount"
read-only
other=/dev/hda1
label=windows
table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
label=floppy
unsafe

I don't understand why my CDRW keeps disappearing!?!  When I rebooted last night with the new fstab file the CDRW was recognized by the system and was usable by the xcdroast program. I did not intentionally change anything after that reboot and yet when I rebooted this AM my CDRW was gone?!?!
LTR  }}:{(
On Sun, 2003-06-22 at 02:07, John Richard Smith wrote:
Langsley T Russell wrote:

> BINGO John!!
>
> I once again have my CDRW in my hardware list. Once again it appears
> twice, once as hdb and once as scd1. I opened xcdroast and it too sees
> the Samsung CDRW drive.
>
> Now I must ask if I should leave both entries for the CDRW in my
> hardware list? I checked mount points and the CDRW is mounted as scd1.
> Is that as it should be?
>
> Thank you so much, John! I am forever in your debt.
>
> LTR  }}:{(
Langsley,

If I understand you correcty you have a working writer, both
supermounted and scsi-emulated.
Can yopu kindly post both your relevent lilo.conf and fstab entries ,
for the device, so that we can see what does what.

thanks,

John