On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:54:59PM -0700, dfox wrote:
> Somebody scribbled about Re[2]: [newbie] *Fast* file contents search tool?
> >I checked out glimpse. It is a text indexer, and can do some
> >sophisticated searches. It requires a plugin to handle Word & Excel
>
> I see. I haven't explored this. If you look for 'indexing' on
> sourceforge.net there are a couple of hits. docsearcher seems to be able
> to look inside non-text files (excel,word, etc.) but it's in java and
> personally java to me means slow and bloated :).
>
> Compilation is not all that difficult. speaking from experience, keeping
> track of non-rpm sources and integrating them into mandrake-friendly
> installs is a little more tricky. of course, you can do the compile and
> install in /usr/local/bin.

Late in the thread, but . . .

I'm using Namazu to index Mailman/Pipermail archives. Out of the box
this will index many types of files, and if you look around you can
sometimes find a filter for other file types.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] filter]$ pwd
/usr/local/share/namazu/filter
[EMAIL PROTECTED] filter]$ l
bzip2.pl     excel.pl  html.pl      msword.pl      powerpoint.pl  tex.pl
compress.pl  gzip.pl   mailnews.pl  pdf.pl         rfc.pl
deb.pl       hdml.pl   man.pl       pipermail.pl   rpm.pl
dvi.pl       hnf.pl    mhonarc.pl   postscript.pl  taro.pl

(The Pipermail filter is not included in the package; somebody wrote it
and passed it along to me.)

Nice thing about it, you can run searches from the commandline, or use a web
interface.

http://www.namazu.org

Todd