jeepcreep wrote:

Just finished installing 8.1. Atr the end of the install process I was asked to reboot. When I did, after recognizing all the hardware and before getting into the OS, my screen started producing line after line of '40's, nonstop. What is happening?

Need to know a little more about your system.

1. Are using lilo?
2. If yes, post your lilo.config file.
3. Post your partition scheme.
4. How old is your computer? If it is somewhat old it may not be able to boot past 1024 cylinder.

Did you make a boot floppy during the install? If you cannot boot into 8.1 you can download 'tomsrtbt' (from windows if necessary) and then you can access the new 8.1 system so you can 'look' at things and repair them if necessary.