hmmm, you might want to try running amavis-new as root (as a
test)

and also in debug mode.. I think its just:

amavis --debug

Try that as root and see what happens.

You'll see alot of stuff on STDOUT, including  the
initialisaton
of trophie and any other related daemons, (like clamd or
spamassassin).

Its possible that you have a permission problem..

Are you running amavis as vscam:amavis???

Were any errors reported when you compiled trophie??
I remember explicitly defining user and group to
amavis:amavis when I
compiled trophie, and when I forgot to do that the first
time I had
problems.

regards

Franki