John Aldrich wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> >
> Can Linux-Mandrake 6.0 be installed onto SCSI drives?  I continually get an
> Fdisk error message "An error occured reading the partition table for the
> block dvice /tmp/sdc.  The error was: device not configured".  I have 6GB of
> an 18GB drive free and ready to use for Linux, IF I can ever get past this
> hurtle.  can anyone out there help me??

> Please send your messages as "plain text." I'm not sure how
> you sent this one, but it didn't want to copy your message
> when I hit the "reply" button. :-)
> In any event, I think the problem is that it's trying to
> modify the device /tmp/sdc instead of /dev/sdc. Are you
> using some sort of "drive manager" software or something?
> Also, you'll either need an IDE drive or a boot disk unless
> you compile the scsi drivers into the kernel yourself. If
> you choose to use a small IDE, you can put /boot and / on
> the IDE and everything else should go on the SCSI.
>         John

John....that's not true, I've been running a dual scsi drive, dual os
system with win98 and mdk (5.2, 5.3, 6.0 & finally 6.1) since February
and the only ide device I have is a ls-120 superdisk.  I've never used
anything but the kernal that comes with the distribution (I upgraded 6.0
to the 2.2.9-27mdk kernal distributed in the updates, but it was in an
rpm, no compiling was done).

BTW, what mail client do you use that has so much trouble handling so
many different people's messages?  I had no clue that John Karnos'
message was any different than one of yours (I'm using the mail client
in netscape (the version distributed with mdk 6.1), I just read it and
replied to it.  No problems. (-:

Alan