On Monday 28 Jul 2003 7:50 pm, Ralph Slooten wrote:
> I hope this may clear up some facts here. Although you probably
> should not quote me exactly, what I have written here is fact to a
> point. Just check yourself. The DVD's you have (blanks) are 4.x
> Gigs, right. Mount a DVD, and do `df -h` ... unless it's either a
> documentary where they weren't bothered, or a b-rated film, chances
> are it's above 6 Gigs.

Very interesting, Ralph.  I haven't bought a writer yet, but would
like to at some point.  What I would really like to do, though, is to
transfer from tape some of the footage that is most unlikely to ever
make it to dvd.  Some are old- or tv-produced films, many are
documentaries.  I would say the longest would be 90 minutes, with
most around 1 hour.  Would they fit on current blanks?

And hypothetically, we are told that new technology will enable us to
fit several times more on disks that are just around the corner.
Does that mean that we are going to be forced to pay for many, many
hours of unwanted rubbish stuck on the end every time we buy a film,
just to make them bigger than the new standard?  It doesn't bear
thinking about.  It's bad enough now, only being able to buy some
films in the 'special' editions, with heaven knows what stuck on the
end - which I've never watched.

Anne