On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:39:00 -0400
"Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Just an observation to this thread. From whats been said, you can't do a 1 to
> 1 copy of commercial DVDs but with 4.x gigs of data, you sure could use
> Mencoder with very -high- settings to make a darn near perfect Divx file,
> right?
>
> I mean, considering that it makes very good quality movies from DVD that fit
> onto a single 650 meg CD-ROM right now. :-)

Yes, technically very true. You could produce a DivX file with a bitrate of over
5000 if wanted, giving you picture-perfect quality. If it puts a heavier load on
the CPU, I can't be sure though, and you would not be able to play it in a
common DVD player either.

I thought about this one, and recconed that if you tried to hit 1 Gig per DivX,
you would be left with super quality, and could fit 4 movies on one DVD. But is
this worth it, I'm not sure either. DVD's (blank) have reduced in price, but are
not cheap yet here in Holland.

Greetings
Ralph
--
http://axljab.homelinux.org:8080/
"...the software said Win95 or better, so I installed Linux"