Ok if you were to get ADSL ou wouldn't get a modem each.

You would get one modem (for as little as £30) for the computer that is most likely to be on for most of the time

You buy 1 network card for each computer (as cheep as £10 each) making sure it works in Linux first

And a cheap hub.

Use the internet conection sharing wizard to tel linux yiu want to share the conection

Then everyone in your house can share the ADSL conection.

You can get ADSL for less than £20 per month.

This is the setup I'm using here I got a "Network Startup Kit" for £30 which was a hub and 2 network cards.

I assure it is worth it and makes life a lot easier (it also works with windows if anyone's actually silly enough to use it)

I'm also sure if you search arround on ebay.co.uk you;ll find an even cheeper solution.

Mike

John Richard Smith wrote:

Michael Lothian wrote:

Yes that's true but the cost is considerably more, the quality of service improvement not that much higher, and in my case I have to buy 4 new modems just to get started.

What exactly is your setup?

I have 3 computer, and my wife has hers and several of my daughters each have computers that float in and out according to presence in the family.I don't propose upgrading them, but the 4 that sit at home will all need one ADSL each. I have concidered building a serverbox to link via lans to each but right now that is beyond my ability, though I don't rule it out for the future, but bear in mind I didn't even own a computer 3 years ago. I would like a server box though, would be fun to muck around with.

So right now we wait until the price of these high speed internet connections are ready for the mass market. Which incidentally will be one of the key spurs to a meaningful economic recovery around the world.It's one of the key drivers that is holding the world back.

John