On Monday August 11 2003 02:49 pm, Heather/Femme wrote:
> WD 120 gb:[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.19 seconds =673.68
> MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.45 seconds =
> 44.14 MB/sec
>

> No idea if thats normal or good or bad.. i dunno what i'm looking
> for..so thought i'd throw this in & ask. :)
>
> I ran the test 3 times too... thats the last reading.

   Average is important, over 5 or 6 runs. But those numbers are
very good. Mine average 650/47. The highest I've seen is 698/48.

   OTOH, the latest hdparm-5.4-2mdk uses bigger, different tests. It
measures T over 2 seconds, about 1200 to 1300mb rather than the old
128mb test. Similarly with t, it measures over 3 seconds, about
140+ mb's, rather than 64mb. So the numbers might not be all that
comparable. I've tested with the old and new hdparm tho, and the t
number, the important one, Timing buffered disk reads is constant
... 47+ mb/sec. I suspect the new hdparm is more accurate.