On Sunday August 10 2003 11:38 am, Anarky wrote:
>     hi everybody ... me new ... I just had a very embarassing
> moment today. A friend came by with his hdd .. and I was copying
> about 1Gb of data from one hdd to another.  My linux preaching
> was going pretty well .. and he was pretty much willing to give
> it a try too ... but then ... well .. copying from one hdd to
> another was SOOoooo slow that I had to reboot in windows. very
> embarassing.
>     anyway, now I've done some tests and copying with Krusader
> gave me some speed results:
> the copying starts off at a boooming nice 8Mb/second .. and then
> gradually by the time it copies 200Mb it's at like 1Mb per sec ..
> and my hdds are making a noise like they're going to die ... plz
> help. It can't be hardware problems because in windows it copies
> the stuff fast .. and at a constant speed (can't say exactly ...
> but I got a feel for the time it takes to copy 700Mb ... and it
> takes a LOT longer in linux)
>
>     Now for my specs:
>
> I should mention that I"m copying from on fat32 partition to
> another. running mandrake 9.1, no updates,
> the tested drive speeds are:
>

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] void]# hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.85 seconds =150.59
> MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.87 seconds =
> 34.22 MB/sec
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] void]# hdparm -tT /dev/hdd
>
> /dev/hdd:
>  Timing buffer-cache reads:   128 MB in  0.85 seconds =150.59
> MB/sec Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.87 seconds =
> 22.30 MB/sec
>
> both my drives are udma if I read the output of 'hdparm -i
> /dev/hda' & 'hdparm -i /dev/hda' correctly:
> for hda:
> UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 *udma4 udma5 udma6
> and for hdd:
> UDMA modes: udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4
>
>     so that's not it ...
>
>     umm .. what else: I've got 256Mb SD ... and I don't know the
> motherboard type exactly (kt133B?) ... anyway, the proc is K7
> Athlon 550Mhz slot A
>
> heeeeellllpppp me ... please!!!
>

> greets & thanks in advance to everybody

[root /tom] $ hdparm -tT /dev/hd[ab]

/dev/hda:  (ata/133, udma6)
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1232 MB in  2.00 seconds = 616.00
MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  140 MB in  3.00 seconds =  46.67
MB/sec

/dev/hdb:  (ata/100, udma6)
 Timing buffer-cache reads:   1252 MB in  2.00 seconds = 626.00
MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  122 MB in  3.02 seconds =  40.40
MB/sec

     Your hardware is a good part of the slowness. OTOH, you didn't
say how you were transferring. I suspect it was with a GUI. If
you'd have used the CL, Linux would smoke Winblows. Maybe not
necessarily faster, but Linux does proper verification, Winsux
slides over this.  Google 'CRC checks'  Also, if the files had been
on a real file system, and not subject to M$ fragmentation, the
transfer would'a been no problem.