Through the years I've noticed that quite a few people on this
great list dual boots Windows occasionally. I've never had
Windows on my box - and never will.

But right now I have a problem : My oldest daughter just started
in college and her math teacher demands her to buy a program
called *Derive*. It's a math program from Texas Instruments and
I've visited their website just to find out it's a Windows app
only - no Unix/Linux version.

Well, my daughters scuttled their preinstalled Windows-crap when
they bought their computers and are using Linux on a daily basis
with no problems insofar. So I told them - maybe a little too
enthusiastic - that Linux can do anything, including running
Windows applications through an emulator.

So I just installed wine and downloaded the *Derive* program.
This seems to be a file called *setup.exe*. Then, I typed *wine
setup.exe* and everything seemed OK until it ask me for a
*folder* for installation. The screen suggest strange *folders*
like *c:\programs* etc.. (???) - I don't have such *folders*, so
I typed : /usr/share/derive (having created that *folder* of
course. But the program doesn't seem able to find any *folders*
on my system, no matter what I type.

The man pages for wine do not mention this problem, but I'm
confident some of you can help me out on this - probably very
trivial - hiccup.

Thanks in advance

Kaj Haulrich.
--