On Saturday 16 August 2003 11:09 am, Poogle wrote:

<snip>

> you got me curious so I d/l the trial version of Derive, with
> crossover office 1.3.5 it crashes with an error message about
> VBOX, so no go there, but with Win4Lin  (with Win98) it
> installs properly and will open and close the included files.
> As to whether it will "work" I can't comment as it's about 30
> years since I studied maths/statistics so I can't remember
> enough about the subject  (hangs head in shame) to try to work
> with it.

</snip>

OK Poogle, Frankie and all who helped me on this one : The fact
is that I don't have a copy of that other OS, in any flavor
whatsoever. So I tried to run *Derive* from Wine and from
Crossover - with no success. Win4Lin may be OK, but as far as I
understand it requires a copy of another OS - right ?

If yes, I think my only option is to somehow get my hands on an
old, used Windows PC just to run this app. Under no
circumstances will I tolerate Windows on my *real* computers in
our home.

I happen to own an old Thinkpad 380 with OS/2 on it, but *Derive*
won't run under OS/2's emulation of Win3.1 either. Possibly I
can get a copy of Win98, but I have no clue whatsoever about
installing it - the Thinkpad can't boot off a CD , so I guess
it's a dead end too ?

Thanks again, all.

Kaj Haulrich.
--