On Saturday 16 August 2003 08:23 pm, Heather/Femme wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-16 at 08:50, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > If yes, I think my only option is to somehow get my hands on
> > an old, used Windows PC just to run this app. Under no
> > circumstances will I tolerate Windows on my *real* computers
> > in our home.
> >
> > I happen to own an old Thinkpad 380 with OS/2 on it, but
> > *Derive* won't run under OS/2's emulation of Win3.1 either.
> > Possibly I can get a copy of Win98, but I have no clue
> > whatsoever about installing it - the Thinkpad can't boot off
> > a CD , so I guess it's a dead end too ?
> >
> > Thanks again, all.
> >
> > Kaj Haulrich.
>
> IF you are dead set on getting a copy of Windows onto that
> laptop I know of one easy way to do it.
>
> I also can ftp you a copy of w98 if you wish.
>
> Copy from the W98 Dir (Using ftp if you must) to the laptop
> the Windows Setup directory onto the laptops hard drive.
>
> Boot with boot diskette to an DOS prompt.  Enter the dir you
> copied your setup files to, run setup.exe.  Done.
>
> Win98 is stupid enough to install from HDD.  Win2k is too...
> Dunno about XP but your hardware is old enough i suspect that
> isn't an issue.

Thanks a lot, Femme. I already managed to get my hands on a CD
with Win98 SE (hence the late reply). It's an OEM edition but i
will give it a try. Now, my problem is to create a boot-floppy.
If I understand you correctly, there is a setup directory on the
CD, so I'll follow your advice once I have a boot floppy.

Maybe I'm a little naïve : I've been browsing around this OEM CD
to find a Windows equivalent of Linux's rawrite and a boot
image, but with no luck. As someone suggested I'll try to pull
one off the net.

I guess, that getting win98 onto this old Thinkpad is my best
option for my daughter. That way her *main* PC can stay *clean*.

Thanks again

Kaj Haulrich.
--
Registered Linux user  # 214073 at http://counter.li.org