----- Original Message -----
From: John Aldrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 1999 1:04 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] (not so) Incompatible Hardware

> On Thu, 07 Oct 1999, you wrote:
> >
> > Maybe I have one of those 1 in 3 Packard Bells, so I needed to
> > interject.  I believe that it is the newer Packard Bell pc's that
are
> > really crap.  I have a Packard Bell Legend 100CD that has built-in
> > Cirrus Logic 1 MB video, and a 480 MB Seagate harddrive (bought in
mid
> > '95).  By your standards, I should have been dead in the water.
It is
> > true that I have made some hardware changes in that time (ie:
upgraded
> > the 14.4 kbps faxmodem to a x2 56kbps faxmodem [now v.90], and a
50x
> > CD-ROM drive since the original Panasonic-Matsushita died, plus
more
> > RAM).  I also added a Maxtor 4.3 GB harddrive as a slave device
(but
> > it is now the master), with my swap and /home partitions on the
> > original Seagate.  I also dual boot.  It is true indeed that I
have
> > had some problems with linux, but nothing hardware related.  I
> > understand that the original e-mail was just a start, but all of
these
> > things can't just be automatically scratched out.  Now if you say
> > there may be hardware that conflict with each other, that may be a
bit
> > more acurate.
> >
> Yeah...but try to upgrade the motherboard/cpu with an
> "off-the-shelf" motherboard/cpu combo. Packard-Hell uses
> a non-standard layout and risers for many of their
> desktop computers to keep the vertical size down. However,
> this has the side-effect of essentially putting all your
> cards in one slot. You must not have tried upgrading any of
> the motherboard stuff or putting in a different video card
> or sound card (many of the PB systems have on-board sound
> as well!)
> John

Because I have such an old computer, I can't upgrade the CPU without
upgrading the whole motherboar (I asked someone in Comp USA about my
particular system a while ago), plus my power source is not compatible
with newer boards (verifying some of what you stated).  I have a
Genuine Intel Pentium 60 MHz processor.  I contacted PB support a
while ago about my system (which is past waranty), and I was told that
it can be upgraded to a Pentium 120/133 MHz processor.  I have
upgraded my modem, which is connected to the same riser card as the
soundcard, and even moved both of them to better slots for me to
access; they are the only two things connected there.  The original
CD-ROM drive was connected to the soundcard, but I attached the new
one directly to the IDE controller.  I have not upgraded my video
card, but the current one is built into the motherboard.  As far as
the soundcard, I did a ROM upgrade to make it full-duplex.  It's an
Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16, which is practically a SoundBlaster
16.  All that to basically say that there has been no need (yet) for
me to upgrade that.

Manny Styles
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----