To be pedantic, theliquid crystals are not a "polarised light source."

The light comes from a uniform light at the back of the screen. This is
polarised by a filter and then passed through the liquid crystal
matrix. The crystals that are powered twist the polarisation 90
degrees. The light then passes through a second polarisation filter at
90 degrees to the first. If no twist is involved the light is stopped
by that and the pixel is black. If the liqid crystals have twisted the
light, however, the light passes through and appears bright.

Colour is created by a mask layer of red, green and blue dots in
register with the pixels, so each screen pixel is made up of at least
three liquid crystal elements; one for each primary colour.

The liquid effect when you touch the screen is caused by the pressure
deforming the whole thing and compressing the liquid crystal layer,
which is, after all, liquid.

Nice trick: try looking at an LCD display of any sort, including a
calculator or a watch, with polaroid sunglasses on. At some angle the
whole display goes dark because the polarised light is at right angles
to the polariod filter in the glasses.

--
Richard Urwin