On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 07:53:49 -0700
rikona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> I don't think you can get this with ANY configuration in Mandrake
> because, as I understand it, iptables is NOT application-aware as are
> several firewalls for Windoze. IMHO, this is a great oversight in
> protecting individual computers from 'calling home', as trojans or
> snoopware might do.

Trojans are better checked with chkrootkit (sp?) anyway, IMHO. The
problem with this so-called application awareness in something like
ZoneAlarm is: what if the Trojan disguises itself as Mozilla? Or
"infects" Mozilla? ZoneAlarm is a joke, but it's better than *no* joke I
guess, except in the sense it might give one a false sense of security.

> OTOH, I might have missed how to or what can do this. If so, perhaps
> one of our experts can tell me how to do it. Briefly, for example, I
> would like ONLY Opera and Mozilla to be able to use port 80 out, and
> to alert me if anything else tries to use this port. How can I do
> that?

If you have shorewall installed (I don't so I can't check), go into
Webmin and look, I'll betcha dollars to donuts that you can assign
application "awareness" of some kind, but...see above.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046