On Friday 29 Aug 2003 12:46 pm, Sharrea Day wrote:

> Not that ZA can really help much in those situations.  Clicking on
> the link merely ran the script as the one-and-only user on Win98SE.
>  I feel much safer in Linux browsing the web as user (not root) -
> although sometimes I wonder why, when the most important stuff on
> my system in MY DATA. Couldn't give a sh*t 'bout the system, it can
> be restored, my data can't. At least the stuff that hasn't been
> backed up.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining - I LOVE LINUX!

I do feel that the stress on linux security is sometimes misguided.
Like you, I feel my data is the most important bit, and that's the
part that a virus could trash if it could get in.  I know it still
has to get in, but once in it could run as user, I guess.  When you
combine that with the fact that linux is so stable that we forget the
need for regular backups, it's time to worry.

Under windows I had a rigid backup routine.  Now I am careless, and it
can be weeks in between.  And I'll bet I'm not alone.

> Oh now paranoia is creeping in... off to do a much overdue
> backup...  I swear I'm getting lazier.

Yup - me too.  I'll do one today.

Anne