On Friday 29 August 2003 11:16 pm, Anarky wrote:
> Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> >On Friday 29 August 2003 08:33 pm, Anarky wrote:
> >>    I'm asking this for a friend:
> >>she installed Mandrake 9.1, and dial-up worked ... well ..
> >>pretty much (I was suprsied because I have never seen a
> >> dialup modem working with linux) ... thing is: it connects
> >> to the isp ... but any website one tries to browse to ...
> >> it says 'could not reach host' .. or something like htat ..
> >> so it actually connects, uses the password ... logs in ...
> >> but then everythign is like if it were offline. Ideas
> >> please?
> >
> >I vaguely remember this problem from my modem days. It seems
> > that you can connect, but can't resolve hostnames.
> >What dialer do you use ? - If it's the KDE one (Internet
> >Dialer),open the settings dialog and make sure to set the
> >correct DNS servers (you've got them from your ISP).
>
>     umm .. I don't thinks so, as in windows there was no need
> to set up any DNS.

Hmm... very strange. I've never heard of any machine intended to
browse the web that didn't need to know at least one DNS server.
But then again, what do I know ? - The only thing I know about
windows is their need for frequent cleaning (or so my wife says)
and that they are utterly fragile.

Or maybe you purchased a box with Windows preinstalled. In that
case your OEM and ISP probably had a *deal they couldn't refuse*
with Mr. Gates. That way the DNS could be precoded into your M$
dialer. By the way : was it a real (external) modem or a
*winmodem* ?

Anyway : have you tried the suggestions from us ? - Let us know
your mileage, please.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
Registered Linux user  # 214073 at http://counter.li.org