my favorite method of dialup is wvdial.

Its an intelligent dialer that reads what the remote server says and
responds appropraitely.

urpmi wvdial

(As root)
cd /etc
touch wvdial.conf

wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

It will detect your modem, setup init strings and stuff and write some
stuff to wvdial.conf

Then you just edit the file and replace the username and password and phone
number with your ISP's
and run:
wvdial

and bobs your uncle.. it does all the work.

as for DNS.. if you don't have a good DNS server, I use 139.130.4.5 in most
places as a last resort dns server in /etc/resolv.conf

Its an DNS server for Australias biggest ISP..

regards

Franki