On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 12:41, Kaj Haulrich wrote:

> Hmm... very strange. I've never heard of any machine intended to
> browse the web that didn't need to know at least one DNS server.
> But then again, what do I know ? - The only thing I know about
> windows is their need for frequent cleaning (or so my wife says)
> and that they are utterly fragile.

You really can't get anywhere without DNS. The Windows "Dialup" stuff is
basically setup for using DHCP via the ISP; under unix/linux, you just
have to get a bit more specific about setting that stuff up.

BTW, in KPPP you're only supposed to provide a username and a password
and a phone number - that's generally all it takes - unless you have a
prob with the modem - otherwise, it should just work right from the
get-go...

...and if not, locate and use WV-DIAL instead...

--
Sat Aug 30 17:30:00 EST 2003
 17:30:00 up 5 days,  7:16,  3 users,  load average: 0.72, 0.72, 0.64

 If food is not reasonably clean, return uneaten portion for partial refund