On Friday 29 August 2003 03:33 pm, Anarky wrote:
>     I'm asking this for a friend:
> she installed Mandrake 9.1, and dial-up worked ... well .. pretty much
> (I was suprsied because I have never seen a dialup modem working with
> linux) ... thing is: it connects to the isp ... but any website one
> tries to browse to ... it says 'could not reach host' .. or something
> like htat .. so it actually connects, uses the password ... logs in ...
> but then everythign is like if it were offline. Ideas please?

   What kind of modem are you using?  I have set up quite a few machines using
external modems with serial connections and never had a bit of trouble with 1
exception and that was on a notebook from hell. I guess that on a number of
things I am not to good at troubleshooting problems in linux but external
serial modem and KPPP have always been a 100% success requiring very little
effort on my part. If you are using a internal modem that could complicate
things a bit.

    Marc
    KM5KW