On Saturday 30 Aug 2003 3:28 pm, Anarky wrote:
>     I hear of this program 'wondermaker' ... which would enable one to
> interectivelly browse the web & stuff .. while still downloading at max
> speed possible (eg. the download speed would lower to leave space for
> browsing when one needed it) ... do you know any other such tools? I've
> installed this one and ... well, seems I don't know what to do ... do
> you by any chance know of any gui tools with which one could graphically
> & interactivelly lower the speed of ongoing downloads to make room for
> some browsing?

The shorewall firewall can be configured with the 'Wonder Shaper' as described
here http://www.shorewall.net/traffic_shaping.htm
However this not the sort of project for a newbie with a few weeks experience.

A simpler form if prioritising services can be made by changing the priorities
in /etc/shorewall/tos   You could make ftp a lower Type of Service there.

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net