On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 12:50:08 +0100, Inhabitant of Zion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Translation:

> MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE
> SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND ACCURACY OF THE
> INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, AND RELATED GRAPHICS CONTAINED
> ON OR OBTAINED THROUGH THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES FOR ANY PURPOSE.

We don't claim it's good for anything.

> ALL SUCH
> INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, AND RELATED GRAPHICS ARE
> PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND.

Our software is what it is. Take it or leave it.

> MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS
> RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS WITH
> REGARD TO THIS INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES, AND RELATED
> GRAPHICS, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS OF
> MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND
> NON-INFRINGEMENT.

We promise nothing.

> IN NO EVENT SHALL MICROSOFT AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT,
> INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, OR ANY
> DAMAGES WHATSOEVER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF USE,
> DATA, OR PROFITS, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH THE USE OR
> PERFORMANCE OF THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES, WITH THE DELAY OR INABILITY TO
> USE THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES, THE PROVISION OF OR FAILURE TO PROVIDE
> SERVICES, OR FOR ANY INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES OBTAINED
> THROUGH THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES, OR OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF
> THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE,
> STRICT LIABILITY, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF MICROSOFT OR ANY OF ITS SUPPLIERS
> HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES.

If something does happens, we are not accountable.

> IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES, OR
> WITH ANY OF THESE TERMS OF USE, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO
> DISCONTINUE USING THE .NET PASSPORT SERVICES.

You don't like it, don't use it.

> Microsoft reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate your
> access to the .NET Passport Services or any portion thereof at any time,
> without notice.

If we don't like you, we won't use you.

> Microsoft may also terminate or suspend your access to the .NET Passport
> Services for inactivity, which is defined as failing to sign in to the
> Services for an extended period of time, as determined by Microsoft. Upon
> termination of your .NET Passport account, your right to use the .NET
> Passport Services immediately ceases.

If you don't use it, you lose it. Just because.

> Microsoft may assign these Terms of Use, in whole or in part, at any time.

We've warned you ahead of time that we're bastards. Don't be surprised when
we smite you.

> Microsoft's performance of this agreement is subject to existing laws and
> legal process,

We're as slimy as we're legally allowed to be.

> and nothing contained in these Terms of Use is in derogation
> of Microsoft's right to comply with governmental, court, and law
> enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of the .NET
> Passport Services or information provided to or gathered by Microsoft with
> respect to such use.

Of course, we're subject to subpoenas.

> You agree to indemnify and hold Microsoft, its
> parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, and employees, harmless from
> any claim, demand, or damage, including reasonable attorneys' fees,
> asserted by any third party due to or arising out of your use of or conduct
> on the .NET Passport Services.

Again, we remind you that we are accountable for nothing.

(But don't forget, folks, they want to _earn_ your trust!)

Miark