On Wednesday 03 September 2003 02:09 pm, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 13:51:49 -0400
>
> Bryan Phinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > I don't think that it would be too hard.  I could do a DNS query for
> > an MX record and if you don't have one, simply deny the connect.  If
> > you are running a real mail server, you should have an MX record on a
> > DNS.  Dynamic ranges won't have those because they are dynamic.
>
> How does one "register" a mail server? Could I not register the one I am
> using, and get around it that way?
>
> My setup at Zoneedit.com allows me to add a mailserver, what if I just
> put mail.orderinchaos.org?

Might work for some but might not for others.  A reverse DNS on the IP won't
show Zoneedit as the owner of the dynamic IP, it will show the ISP that the
IP is assigned to.  Trying to connect to a MTA that does reverse lookups
would get you denied because the IP would not match the domain that you
report.  If they are doing that check.  I don't think that there is any real
substitute for a static IP assigned through a registrar.

I think that in order to run a mailserver with a dynamic address, you have to
use a mail reflector to bounce mail through.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer