----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Scottaline <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:23:46 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] Virus

> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 14:18:40 +0100
> Anne Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:
>
> >On Sunday 07 Sep 2003 2:05 pm, Michael Scottaline wrote:
> >> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 13:55:21 +0100
> >>
> >> "DrewMartin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> insightfully noted:
> >>
> >> =================================
> >> No need for a flame war, but I'd suggest that those who still, for
> >> whatever reason, use some iteration Windows, try to avoid using the
> >> virus magnet known as Outlook or Express.  There are numerous
> >> alternatives that will work on that platform without the dangers to
> >> self and others imposed by Outlook usage.
> >> ================================
> >>
> >I can confirm that I always set up windows machines to use Netscape or
> >Mozilla, and although viruses get through, as they have done on this
> >list traffice, none have activated (this over a period of several
> >years).  This should be stressed with your employer if he/she is not
> >aware of it.
> There is also a Mozilla-Thunderbird version for windows:  Mail client w/o the
> browser and other baggage.  Eudora is also available; Pegasus, even a version
> of Sylpheed.  Anything but Lookout!!  ;o)
> Mike

Just to add a bit here if I may. I use Opera browser(Opera rules!) and Pegasus mailer
(a great, free mail program) as defaults on my MS OS that I dual-boot w/Mdk. I use AVG
free a-v, and have not had a single virus infection in about 2 years. I also run
ZoneAlarm. Even with an inherently unsecure and problematic system such as WinME,
there ARE precautions that one can exercise at the user level to reduce the
possibility of virus/worm/trojan infection. To dump Lookout Express and it's address
book is, I believe, a MUST, at the very least.

Best of all is to exercise the use of Linux, and enjoy the present feeling of not
having to worry too much at all about these particular annoyances, as well as the
other many benefits that we all appreciate about our favorite 'nix! ;-)
Just my couple pennies worth.

Best regards.

--Angus

"Let us not look back in anger or forward in fear, but around in awareness."--James
Thurber

~Linux Powered by Mandrake 9.1~
~Reg. Linux User #278931~

http://www.operamail.com
Get OperaMail Premium today - USD 29.99/year