On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 23:47, rikona wrote:
> Hello Heather/Femme,
>
> Thursday, September 11, 2003, 10:44:15 AM, you wrote:
>
> HF> Have to agree with Anne.  Till linux becomes more pervasive, ppl
> HF> who can only turn the comp on & nothing else (and most don't want
> HF> to know more) won't use linux nor is it feasible for them to be
> HF> using it.
>
> It might depend on what they do. If they're clueless and insist on
> messing with the computer, there will be problems for Win or linux. If
> they just surf, email, etc and either don't want to or are not allowed
> to mess with it, either might be fine. Win is probably not as
> satisfactory because of the viruses, spyware, etc - these tend to ask
> too many questions and need a slight amount of knowledge and
> maintenance. Not good for this crowd.
>
> HF> For now, seeing seniors use linux or any segment of the population
> HF> that is of the mindset a comp shold be like a toaster (it just
> HF> works), is a pipe dream.
>
> Actually, The seniors I know are rather sharp and need less care than
> the younger crowd (excluding teen gamers, of course). Many have more
> time to learn than the two-jobs-to-keep-alive group. One even does
> computer security consulting on the side.
in the days of y-modem downloads, and BBS,,, I tried to setup a 286 in a
hospice, that would allow the folks to connect to my BBS, but as soon as
the connection was established, the first message that flashed (in text)
on the screen was "Connect 9600... Error Correction Protocol
Established"
As soon as almost anyone say the 'error' message, they went for the plug
in the wall, only the more savvy ones tried the power-button, and NONE
waited to see what would happen.

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org