Hello Heather/Femme,

Thursday, September 11, 2003, 10:44:15 AM, you wrote:

HF> Have to agree with Anne.  Till linux becomes more pervasive, ppl
HF> who can only turn the comp on & nothing else (and most don't want
HF> to know more) won't use linux nor is it feasible for them to be
HF> using it.

It might depend on what they do. If they're clueless and insist on
messing with the computer, there will be problems for Win or linux. If
they just surf, email, etc and either don't want to or are not allowed
to mess with it, either might be fine. Win is probably not as
satisfactory because of the viruses, spyware, etc - these tend to ask
too many questions and need a slight amount of knowledge and
maintenance. Not good for this crowd.

HF> For now, seeing seniors use linux or any segment of the population
HF> that is of the mindset a comp shold be like a toaster (it just
HF> works), is a pipe dream.

Actually, The seniors I know are rather sharp and need less care than
the younger crowd (excluding teen gamers, of course). Many have more
time to learn than the two-jobs-to-keep-alive group. One even does
computer security consulting on the side.

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]