On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 14:20, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Tuesday September 9 2003 04:14 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> > So once again AMD are ahead of the game.So does anyone know of a
> > Mobo, and which AMD processor is currently the right choice for
> > testing , 64 bit architecture.
> > Why will it be some while before it's mainstream PC ? I mean, if
> > it works, it works for whatever software ?  or are you saying the
> > technical aspects of PC's means it will not be compatible until
> > someone does the necessary ?
> >
> > I might have a think about trying it.  Just where does one obtain
> > the 64 bit M9.2 version anyway, cooker I suppose, but what would
> > it be called ?
> >
> > John
>
>    Well, I see Charlie already gave you a best answer. The only
> thing I'd add, is there's no sense in havin a 64bit desktop, till
> most all the apps you use are ported to 64bit. Same deal as dual
> processors (SMP).
I might take a bit of this last one up with you Tom, that be there
Winblows thinking... about SMP anyway.
I promise there is a marked difference between an SMP machine doing
anything in MDK-Linux, and the same machine with out 2 cpus. in
Winblows, including W2kp, and XP, if they ain't special SMP aware apps,
there ain't no value, but in MDK, everything (when really loading up the
box) is faster SMP. the visual difference is roughly the same as going
from 128 meg ram to 256 meg ram, as UP vs SMP

>  Then expect some of them to run slower due to the
> overhead of addressing at twice the amount. I'll just stick to what
> I said originally, it's gonna be quite a while before 64 bit hits
> the desktop. And 64bit versions of most all distros have been
> available for quite some time....  for servers.
the DEC alpha has been a 64 bit chip around for some long time now

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org