On Tuesday September 9 2003 02:56 pm, ed tharp wrote:
> >    Well, I see Charlie already gave you a best answer. The only
> > thing I'd add, is there's no sense in havin a 64bit desktop,
> > till most all the apps you use are ported to 64bit. Same deal
> > as dual processors (SMP).
>
> I might take a bit of this last one up with you Tom, that be
> there Winblows thinking... about SMP anyway.
> I promise there is a marked difference between an SMP machine
> doing anything in MDK-Linux, and the same machine with out 2
> cpus. in Winblows, including W2kp, and XP, if they ain't special
> SMP aware apps, there ain't no value, but in MDK, everything
> (when really loading up the box) is faster SMP. the visual
> difference is roughly the same as going from 128 meg ram to 256
> meg ram, as UP vs SMP

   OK, we've got an argument Ed! ;)  I talk to people all the time
(Winblows users), they use their computers (if you can call ready
made laptops computers) to email, use as typewriter, or surf the
web. And they think they need broadband an faster computers. Most
of 'em hunt'n peck like I do on a keyboard, an consult with their
mouse. When they ask me for advice, I tell'm I don't do Windoze, an
I don't do laptops. Not one believes that M$ is their biggest
problem. I don't push the issue. Not even after they say "I think
my computer has a virus". I just offer free Mandrake CD's and
support as my only solution. But I digress ...

   Twin 1 Ghz processors does not a 2 GHz system make. It's still a
1GHz system. Same speed, just more lanes on the highway. If they're
open to traffic (software). Anything above 600 Mhz, single
processor is good for compiling kernels, specially 'make modules'.
That's about it.   BTW, with the lastest kernels a few weeks ago,
my 1.4 Athlon, oc'd to 1.5Ghz, plain old sdram, would take a stock
Mdk config an 'make modules' in 40+ minutes. Now with an XP 3000+
oc'd to 2.3Ghz, DDR 400 sdram @ DDR 427, it doesn't even take 20
minutes. If it was dual cpu, it'd most likely still take close to
20 minutes. It surely wouldn't get done in 10.

   BFD anyhow, everything else is hardly at all noticeably quicker.
My typin is slower I think.  An what makes you think addin ram
makes a system faster? If the ram amount was adequate to the task
to begin with, addin more just means it might be able to do more at
the same speed without VM (/swap). 'Cept for Windoze, then the
system gets slower ;>  Or in all truth, a Linux industrial strength
multi processor server is slower too with a bunch of ram, if it's
used close to capacity.  SMP has little merit on the desktop.  For
loaded down servers, a dual processor system surely wouldn't even
cut it. Then bunches are called for. Just not on a desktop, ever.

  So it's not about how fast, it's more a situation of how much.
Sure multiple proccesors can do more in a given length of time,
given lots'a ram... but for a desktop, No.  Desktop: UP, run it
hard an put it up wet. Overclocking will produce much more than
SMP. They only use one motor on winning race cars. The multi motor
cars are called 'crowd pleasers', but they're not fast, just showy.