On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 09:03:42 -0700
rikona <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello robin,
>
> Sunday, September 7, 2003, 1:17:15 PM, you wrote:
>
> r> There is also the factor that the average Linux sysadmin is a lot
> r> more savvy than a point-and-click NT sysadmin.
>
> And both are almost infinitely more savvy than the new XP user,
> sitting on the net with no firewall, no AV program, M$ security
> defaults (wide open), opening that (supposedly) luscious porn pix he
> just got in an email, clicking on all those unbelievable offers from
> those kooky web sites, and... well, you get the idea.

Ahem, i tutor these people at SeniorNet.

They get sold a box with a firewall, virus-checker and windows update.
They wouldn't know it has a firewall, run the virus checker regularly
but dont know about the "update" button, and wonder if the windows
update reminder is a virus. I myself have only just learned about the
joys/pains of system restore which may or may not have been turned on by
the retailer. Many of the virus calls i get are solved with Ad-Aware or
Sy-Bot Search & Destroy. But it takes 2 hours to show them how to update
windows and there virus checker database before i leave the house

--
Michael

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach.