On Thursday 11 Sep 2003 6:56 pm, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:44:15 -0600
>
> Heather/Femme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > Have to agree with Anne.  Till linux becomes more pervasive, ppl
> > who can only turn the comp on & nothing else (and most don't want
> > to know more) won't use linux nor is it feasible for them to be
> > using it. They have (often) no one to call if something goes
> > wrong.  INcluding tech support @ a local Future shop who won't
> > toucha comp if it doesn't run windows.  Ditto ISPs & other
> > vendors.
>
> http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030731.gttwtico31
>/BNStory/einsider/?query=Linux
>
> Quote:
>
> "Myth: Linux is painful to support.
>
> Reality: Ordinary humans -- as opposed to nerds -- don't want to
> mess with it. Even for nerds it requires special savvy. Not to
> worry. Today's computer science faculties spit out Linux mavens by
> the bushel. And tech-services firms are now ready and able to take
> such problems off your hands."

Wish I could agree.  I did an MSc in Information Systems, ending just
3 years ago.  For one module we used the Sun lab.  They put us in
front of those unix machines without a word of support/training, and
told us that we would need emacs.  I quickly learned a few very basic
commands, but I never got the hang of emacs.  I used to struggle,
frustrated for the whole session and was lucky if I managed more than
2 lines of code.  I would then come home and write the rest on
TextPad under windows, an editor that could line number, write
windows or unix line feeds and even compile/run the code.  I got good
grades for the module, based on the work I turned out, but they never
figured that I had no confidence at all in my ability to use the unix
machines.

> Also, keep in mind that for the average user who just wants to read
> e-mail and surf the web, they will very likely *never need
> support*. All the applications, stability, and security are already
> there.

Remember I stressed hand-holding more than support.  The most basic
tasks are hard to remember when you start.  If there's anyone here of
a literary bent, a get started book that looks attractive and has
lots of screenshots (probably in kde, since that is where most will
start) would be a great help.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302