John Richard Smith wrote:

RichardA wrote:

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 22:38:09 -0500, Joeb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

Actually, I just tried this with my smart media reader. I don't have supermount or auto enabled for the device (ie I have to manually mount/umount it). I put in a card and issue a mount /mnt/smedia and
as expected the card mounts. I then umount it and put in a different
card and reissue the mount command and it mounts that card, too. I
forget all the details of the original post, but what happens if you
replace auto with noauto in the /etc/fstab for the device and manually
mount/umount?

Joeb

I hate fstab. All those optional fields. Isn't there a gui
for it?

Anyway, I had this:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto
user,iocharset=iso8859-15,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,umask=0,exec 0 0

Not knowing which auto you meant, I amended the first:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] richard]$ mount /mnt/removable/
mount: fs type noauto not supported by kernel

Hmmm, you must have meant the second.

Actually, I'm much encouraged by the fact that you can swap cards
willy-nilly. It means the problem is with my setup, and not with Linux.
Perhaps a reinstall or some newer hardware will help -- this is a
Celeron 300, on some random cheap motherboard.

Richard

I have this in my fstab,

/dev/sda1 /mnt/reader vfat iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

but like you it will not unmount in GUI I get umount: /mnt/reader: device is busy

and ,
umount /mnt/reader
umount: /mnt/reader: device is busy

on the CL ,

so I have to reboot each time I change a card.

If you remove the entry above from fstab you will not have a device at all unless you specifically make one on the command line like this,

mknod /dev/sda1 b 8 1

and then mount it

/dev/sda1 /mnt/reader

At any rate that is my experience, don't claim to be an expert.
This is with M9.1

John

I have a smart media reader ( dazzle ) which works fine supermounted. though i have to keep my 8 mg card in the reader or I will get Invalid disk read errors if I reboot.
I'm not at home now but if you write me off list I can tell you how I set it up at home.
( I like to do things gui too ;-) if possible )

--
Mike McNeese Springdale, Arkansas USA

====================================================== Dual booting 98lite;MDK 9.1 stock kernel Kde 3.1 Registered Linux User #248955 liquid/acqua Theme ======================================================

"If obstacles are what you see in your path...
               Then you have lost sight of your goal! "