Hello Richard,

Sunday, September 21, 2003, 3:03:45 AM, you wrote:

RU> On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 8:49 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
>> Yank, man pages are great once you have a bit of experience under the
>> belt.  For a true newbie, many ar totally inpenetrable.

RU> Agreed, but I'm not a newbie and IME, man pages are almost useless
RU> for  "how do I do x."

"how do I do x?" is probably the most common newbie question, yet is
the one least likely to get answered by the available tools.

RU> apropos doesn't work because the man pages call it y.

Yep - another part of the problem. M$ help suffers from the same
problem, although their overall integration of help is a step in the
right direction. Newbies can describe the question in 'natural
language', which is unfortunately not the language used in the OS data
base. The first OS that uses a thesaurus well will really be a winner.
I'm hoping that will be Mandrake. How can we do that?

--

 rikona                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]