On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 16:24, rikona wrote:
> Hello Charlie,
>
> Sunday, September 28, 2003, 12:39:36 PM, you wrote:
>
> >> I got 9.0 in a box when 9.1 was just coming out. After a period of
> >> learning, I tried to get some additional programs for 9.0, but
> >> found almost all were for 9.1, and some did NOT work with 9.0. It
> >> was as though the 9.0 code had dried up and blown away.
>
> CM> What code? What programs?
>
> Don't remember all of them now, but included Office, Opera, Sylpheed,
> Pan, Octave, Gnucash, and many others.
>
> >> I'm running 9.1 now. How long will it be before the same thing happens
> >> and 9.1 code becomes hard to find?
>
> CM> What code? What programs?
>
> Not sure what new ones I'll want, but when I tried to find some of the
> above for 9.0, it was essentially impossible to find. I wrote to the
> list, and others were not able to find them either. Turned out there
> were 9.1 versions readily available, but not 9.0. Easiest solution was
> to reinstall 9.1 so I COULD get the programs.
>
> CM> So saying the code dried up and blew away is slightly misleading.
> CM> Stuff is still  available, you just have to know where to look.
>
> At the time, I asked this list, and after many attempts, some 9.0 code
> could not be found. There were suggestions for compiling from source,
> but that brought with it some interesting problems too. :-)
>
> CM> I congratulate you on actually getting the "box" for 9.0, and urge you to
> CM> start those 'others' the same way if possible.
>
> Boxes are too hard to find, especially for the latest release. When I
> bought 9.0, 9.1 was already being released. Not good.
>
> CM> Explain to them that there  _is_ a free version for download but
> CM> that there really is added value to box  sets and Club membership.
>
> Some are on dial-up, and I'd have to give them discs. I usually
> suggest that they join the club to get the goodies there.
>
> CM> but that isn't quite 9.2 and may cause a bad first impression. I'm
> CM> sure that your focus is to present them with a happy experience
> CM> and not have them  snarling at you over a perceived broken
> CM> operating system, am I correct?
>
> Absolutely, utterly crucial! If these M$ users are to like Mandrake
> and make the switch, it MUST work better than Win did - BUT they are
> familiar with win and know how to use it. It has to be EASY as well.
> Most of these people know very little about computers - they are just
> a tool.
>
> The MOST stable, easy-to-use code is what is needed!
>
> CM> A more direct answer to the "How long?" question is simply that
> CM> official support for releases is 18 months. I think. (-:
>
> "Support" might be 18 months, in terms of supplying updates, etc, but
> the apps code dried up MUCH before that in the 9.0-9.1 transition. The
> club had essentially all 9.1 code shortly after 9.1 was released.
not to sound like a butt head, but but had you updated sources, you
would have only th urpmi what ever, they are still out there, the
mirrors just change directory structure every now and then, and you can
not find the rpm anymore. can't be helped, as far as I understand the
shape of the planet.

Mandrake HowTo's & More: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org