rikona wrote:

Hello robin,

Sunday, September 28, 2003, 1:54:01 PM, you wrote:

r> Wasn't 9.0-9.1 the time of the big version change in gcc?  That
r> could be the source of your problems - if so, it's a rare event.

Don't know, but I hope it's better going to 9.2.

r> Other  incompatibilities sometimes occur because of updated
r> libraries,

When I tried to get some apps, the lib problems seemed to be the
biggest sticking point.

r> though  _sometimes_ you can get round them by using the
r> nodeps option when  installing.

Didn't know you could do that. Wouldn't that cause problems?

Sometimes, but if things don't work, you can just uninstall the offending package. The thing not to do is ignore error messages about conflicts - that can land you in deep doo-doo.

Sir Robin

--
"I can say: 'Thank these bees for their honey as though they were kind people who have
prepared it for you'; that is intelligible and describes how I should like you to conduct

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Univeritesi
Ankara 06533