On Sunday 28 September 2003 08:51 pm, Kaj Haulrich wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2003 10:24 pm, Bryan Phinney wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > That function would have been useful about 2 or 3 years ago,
> > it no longer is.
>
> </snip>
>
> Thank you Bryan,  for a very comprehensive and informative
> response. We learn something new every day, don't we ?
>
> Which leads me to yet another question : given all the technical
> possibilities nowadays, why can't we track those spammers down
> to where they typed their crap - and then whack them ?

Actually, it is just not really that easy.  The original architecture of the
Internet was designed to be elastic and resistant to overt attacks.  Part of
this design was to create open standards and infrastructure so that if one
part of the net was down, traffic would be routed around it and connectivity
would continue.  This is currently working to spammer's advantage by allowing
them to avoid getting smacked at any one connection point and not being able
to regain connectivity.  It is hard to shut down anonymous connectivity
completely without hurting some legitimate needs to be anonymous.  Email is
not supposed to be a reliable or secure medium.

Personally, I would like to see legislation that attacks the true source of
spam.  Any company found to be advertising by spam would be hit with a very
sizeable monetary fine.  There will still be criminals who engage in that
behavior but once the source of funds start to dry up, that would be the end
of spam.  Companies that run loose affiliate programs that seemingly wink at
spamming as long as it works, would have to pay big time for doing so and
would stop.  Mainstream companies would run from email promotion for fear of
having to pay fines.  Professional spammers would be unable to give their
services away and would slink back to their trailer parks and other scams.

Organizations like the DMA and even mainstream companies like MS would fight
such efforts however, the end goal is to convince people that spam is
acceptable, like junk mail, so that they can use the channel for cheap
advertising.  The idea of a world where customers actually pay to receive
advertising is just too good for some of them to give it up without a fight.
Like the tragedy of the commons, email is fated to ruin.

I actually think that it has already gone too far myself.  Spammers have
managed to get 3 anti-spam blacklists shut down by DDoS attacks using
recently compromised servers and the SoBig virus that they sent out and
created.  Soon, with the increase in spam, regular people will just give up
email and block everything except traffic that is explicitly whitelisted by
them to get rid of the spam.  That will be the effective end of email for
anything except communications that have been cleared in advance using phone
or snail mail.  And, I don't have to mention, the end of spam.

If the DMA or any other marketing group was hoping to use email for
advertising, they have already missed the boat.  They should have lobbied for
effective legislation from the beginning and tried to salvage the medium.
Their greed will cost them in that respect.

--
Bryan Phinney
Software Test Engineer