You might also look at your BIOS settings.  I seem to remember that
changing mine from P-n-P to non Plug-n-Play made a difference (or was it
vice versa?).

Max

yankl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@linux-mandrake.com on 09/29/2003 05:31:22 PM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:

Subject:    Re: [newbie] Given Up (was Who uses AC97?)

On Monday 29 September 2003 05:37 am, Margot wrote:
> Thanks to all who have tried to help with this. Still no sound, but I
> don't have any more time and energy to devote to this problem right now.
>
> It seems I messed up on my reinstall when I was trying to get the
> internet connection going - succeeded in that but broke everything else!
>
> I'm still running 9.0 - 9.2 will be ready soon, and I can live without
> sound until then, and then perhaps someone can point me to a checklist
> so I make sure I get the 9.2 installation right!
>
> Thanks again for all your time and patience - even though we din't fix
> it, I've learned a lot of useful stuff!
>
> Margot
Margot,
I am sorry that you gave up on your sound.
I have one more idea may be you like to try it. In the past I had a problem
where too much time where assigned for a process to hold a sound device. So
in the kde control center (kcontrol not mcc) you need to change parameter
in
Sound -> Sound System. Check mark auto suspend if idle for: and change time
to about 1 second . Then in the LookNFeel -> Sytem Notification disable all
sound notifications.

--
Yankl
Tiny IT guy.