On Friday 03 October 2003 11:42, Margot wrote:
> Charles A Edwards wrote:
> > On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:59:35 +0100
> >
> > Margot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
> >>probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
> >>alias net-pf-4 ipx
> >>alias autofs autofs4
> >
> > Is this from before or after doing
> > # modprobe snd-via8233 ?
> >

> >     Charles
>
> It is the same, before and after modprobe snd-via8233.
>
> I'm not sure what modprobe is actually meant to do - should it make a
> difference to this file? Have I broken something else now?
> Margot

Modprobe inserts the module (and other modules if they are needed by
that module) into the kernel. If 'modprobe snd-via8233' gives no errors
the module should be loaded. You can check with '/sbin/lsmod'.
Alsamixer should work then. 'modprobe snd-pcm-oss' then loads the OSS
emulation modules. Now aumix and kmix should work. When you logout and
login again I hope the KDE soundserver will start.

It seems to me there is something wrong with hardware detection, maybe a
software error, some database error or hardware identifying itself
incorrectedly.

HTH,

    -Frans