On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 00:16, Margot wrote:
> Stephen Kuhn wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 17:32, Margot wrote:
> >

> >>Is this as bad as it looks? I didn't dare go any further!
> >

> > Oy. Ok...let's do this from the top.
> >
> > Margot, ya want sound?
> >
> > 1.) Remove any and all references to anything to do with a sound card or
> > a sound module from your /etc/modules.conf
> >
> > 2.) In "HardDrake" remove the card/driver.
> >
> > 3.) Power OFF the machine - for at least 30 seconds.
> >
> > 4.) Make SURE in your BIOS that you have PNP OS set to NO and that the
> > AC97 SOUND is set to ON and the AC97 MODEM is set OFF. Save the changes
> > in BIOS - which will warm-boot - and watch carefully for any messages
> > whilst booting - like "New Hardware Found" - "Removing old
> > configuration" - or whatever.
> >
> > 5.) Once you've logged into MDK, check all mixer volumes (aumix, kmix,
> > alsamixergui - and make sure they're not muted)
> >
> > 6.) Reboot again for good measure.
> >
> > AT THIS POINT - if you DO NOT have any sound, then we can dig deeper.
> >
> > Just by doing all of the above, you should - SHOULD have some sound. I
> > personally don't like the AC97 crap that's built into motherboard, but
> > ain't nothing we can do about the manufacturers...and since we're not
> > slapping in a really nice new sound card right now, let's just get those
> > steps over with - ay?
> >
> > stephen kuhn - owner
>
> Stephen,
>
> Thanks. Been working through your list, but only got as far as Step 2 -
> how do I remove the soundcards from the list? I've tried highlightling
> and pressing delete - no response. Tried a right click in case there was
> a menu with a delete option - but there isn't. See picture for what I've
> got!
>
> As I don't seem to have a delete option, is there a way to delete them
> manually using CLI?

Ok...then skip #2 - just continue on.

The idea behind this whole exercise is to remove ANY sound from the
system and then get it to recognise new hardware - a new sound card...

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company
http://kma.0catch.com
The most costly of all follies is to believe passionately in the
palpably not true. It is the chief occupation of mankind. -- H.L.
Mencken