Stephen Kuhn wrote:
On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 00:16, Margot wrote:

Stephen Kuhn wrote:

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 17:32, Margot wrote:

Is this as bad as it looks? I didn't dare go any further!

Oy. Ok...let's do this from the top.

Margot, ya want sound?

1.) Remove any and all references to anything to do with a sound card or
a sound module from your /etc/modules.conf

2.) In "HardDrake" remove the card/driver.

3.) Power OFF the machine - for at least 30 seconds.

4.) Make SURE in your BIOS that you have PNP OS set to NO and that the
AC97 SOUND is set to ON and the AC97 MODEM is set OFF. Save the changes
in BIOS - which will warm-boot - and watch carefully for any messages
whilst booting - like "New Hardware Found" - "Removing old
configuration" - or whatever.

5.) Once you've logged into MDK, check all mixer volumes (aumix, kmix,
alsamixergui - and make sure they're not muted)

6.) Reboot again for good measure.

AT THIS POINT - if you DO NOT have any sound, then we can dig deeper.

Just by doing all of the above, you should - SHOULD have some sound. I
personally don't like the AC97 crap that's built into motherboard, but
ain't nothing we can do about the manufacturers...and since we're not
slapping in a really nice new sound card right now, let's just get those
steps over with - ay?

stephen kuhn - owner

Stephen,

Thanks. Been working through your list, but only got as far as Step 2 - how do I remove the soundcards from the list? I've tried highlightling and pressing delete - no response. Tried a right click in case there was a menu with a delete option - but there isn't. See picture for what I've got!

As I don't seem to have a delete option, is there a way to delete them manually using CLI?

Ok...then skip #2 - just continue on.

The idea behind this whole exercise is to remove ANY sound from the
system and then get it to recognise new hardware - a new sound card...

stephen kuhn - owner

OK Stephen, here's the current position (after following all your instructions!):

BIOS settings are correct. Rebooted twice - no messages about new hardware or anything else, until I get to KDE when I get the attached error message.

Still no aumix. Won't open at all, from GUI or CLI.

Kmix - opens a blank window.

Alsamixergui - still get same error message that I had before "alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory" - the problem that we thought was fixed after Anne advised me to install all packages with alsa in the name, but obviously the "fix" wasn't permanent!

KsCD - CD is whizzing around, but there's no track listing

Grip - CD is whizzing, track listing OK

Xmms - now won't open at all

Speakers are plugged in correctly.

MCC shows two Soundcards - the VT8233 AC97 which is correct, plus the SB Live that does not exist on my system.

I get the usual modem dialling beeps, a beep when my emails arrive, a g'dong (sp?) when I switch the monitor on, and crackles from the speakers when my central heating switches on and when my neighbour's cordless phone rings, but otherwise no sound!

You said we can dig deeper - I'm too tired right now (nearly midnight here) but I'll have my shovel ready in the morning to see what you've come up with overnight!

Grateful thanks to everyone who has helped so far!

Margot

<<inline: snapshot6.png>>