On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:42:45 +0100
Margot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It is the same, before and after modprobe snd-via8233.
>
> I'm not sure what modprobe is actually meant to do

The command modprobe <foo> loads the kernel module <foo>

Can you do an experiment for me, it should fix your sound problem or at
least give me a clearer understanding of what is causing it.

Be sure that your /etc/modules.config still list Only
 probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
 probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
 alias net-pf-4 ipx
 alias autofs autofs4

Launch drakxservises ( # drakxservises )
Find the listing for 'harddrake' and 'uncheck' the box for 'on boot'

Reboot your system.

Check your /etc/modules.config, it should still list only
 probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
 probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
 alias net-pf-4 ipx
 alias autofs autofs4

Run draksound ( # draksound )
Select the via8233 driver and press OK

Check your /etc/modules.config, again.
It should now include the snd module
'alias sound-slot-0 snd-via8233'

If so, test to see if you have system sound, can play a cd, etc.
If you do then we have found the solution, if not they we will start
back from scratch.

    Charles

--
"Spare no expense to save money on this one."
                -- Samuel Goldwyn