yankl wrote:
On Thursday 02 October 2003 07:01 pm, Charles A Edwards wrote:

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:59:35 +0100

Margot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

probeall scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
probeall usb-interface usb-uhci
alias net-pf-4 ipx
alias autofs autofs4

Is this from before or after doing # modprobe snd-via8233 ?

Charles

Margote,

modprobe will load your driver but not setup your moduls.conf. so after every restart you must run modeprobe again or change the modules.conf file.

according to one of my coworker, we had hour long conversation today about your problem, if you have on-board modem it could be recognized in rear cases as Live SB sound. he thinks as I sad before that you compiled live sb in your kernel. Also, Do you have /dev/dsp linked to /dev/sound?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]# ls -l /dev/sound total 0

Thanks for talking to your coworker - I need all the help I can get!

This talk of compiling kernel is worrying - I have never knowingly compiled a kernel. Does this happen automatically on reinstall? Can I have done it by accident, without noticing?

what was the SB Live line in your lspsidrake, the archive server hided your post? Check the number on the web at http://pciids.sourceforge.net/iii/.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]# lspcidrake unknown : VIA Technologies Inc|CPU-to-PCI Bridge unknown : VIA Technologies|VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP] snd-emu10k1 : Creative Labs|SB Live! (audio) emu10k1-gp : Creative Labs|SB Live! (joystick) unknown : VIA Technologies|VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge unknown : VIA Technologies|VT82C586 IDE [Apollo] usb-uhci : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB snd-via8233 : VIA Technologies|VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller] unknown : S3 Inc.|VT8751 [ProSavageDDR P4M266] VGA Controller unknown : Virtual|Hub [] unknown : Epson Corp.|USB Printer [Printer|Printer|Bidirectional] [EMAIL PROTECTED] margot]#

SB Live seems to appear twice in this list, once as audio and once as joystick. I haven't got a joystick on my system.

I checked the webpage you suggested, couldn't find any entry for emu10k1 or 10k1 - was I looking for the right thing?

Margot