On Thursday October 9 2003 08:07 am, Aron Smith wrote:
> >     It's a damn shame the only DSL connection I can get is SBC-
> > Yahoo.  Yahoo sux, but they handle my mail and I'm stuck with
> > that.
>
> I had been meaning to ask you about that SBC DSL connection I
> inquired at SBC about DSL and when I said Linux ... Well I'm not
>  gonna ask again.

    It was either them or cable. I get about 70 channel cable
service thru the RV park I'm in at no cost. I didn't wanna give
that up, plus Time Warner cable in this area has a lot of outages.
So there was a good potential of not havin TV or an Internet
connection for hours at a time. Cable was out for 6.5 hours just
last Friday, 11AM to 5:30PM. Also many short fallouts due to sun
spot activity this far south on the planet.

   OTOH, I believe I know what you're alluding to about SBC-Yahoo
DSL. Only windoze is supported, and you _must_ use their Winsux
installer to connect the first time to get a user name and
password. They won't give you one over the phone. So I had to clear
my first partition on hda and format it for fat32, install W98 and
SBC's dumbass installer. Connect and establish userID and password.
Then I booted Mandrake's 1st CD and reinstalled lilo, booted Linux
and installed rp-pppoe, did the setup and connected! No muss, no
fuss ;)  Then I used diskdrake to erase Winsux and reformat hda1
for ReiserFS ;) PITA, but I only had to do it that one time.

    The connection is good. It's 1.5Megabit and averages about a
steady 145 to 150Kbytes/sec thru Southwestern Bell. Never down.
Unfortunately mail is thru Yahoo's server, smtp.sbcglobal.yahoo.com
and it sux. I get some posts a day after they were sent. Some I
never see, only replies to them. SW Bell has a Usenet newsfeed, but
I also use (need) two paid services. Giganews and Athena, mostly
for binaries. Stuff ISP newsfeeds don't carry (or allow) ;>