This mornin I got up and was readin my email. Much of which was
down on bittorrent (sux!), much of which was very positive. So
what'a heck, I started a 9.2 iso torrent after checking here,
   http://torrent.mandrakesoft.com:6969/     to see how many givers
and getters were online. After the first hour, my upload connection
was maxed out. Making sending email, even surfing very slow. I was
getting about 5kB/s down, but uploading 12kB/s up.  SOS, seemed as
bad as my prior experience gettin cooker iso's with torrent.
       -BUT-
    Many of the positive on torrent posts, gave the links and even
posted the edits to tweak bittorent to increase performance and not
kill your connection for other use. I decided to try. During my
prior cooker experience, I was usin bittorrent on the CL. This time
I was usin the GUI.  So I stopped the current torrent.

    Seems all I had to do was edit...
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/BitTorrent/download.py
   and change....

defaults = [
    ('max_uploads', None, 2,
                      ....^ this was a 4....

     .....and limit upload.....

('max_upload_rate', None, 6,
        'maximum kB/s to upload at, 0 means no limit'),

 ....The 6 was a 0, or unlimited. My adsl connection is only 128
kilobit up, about 14kB/s upload max. More likely 12 in the real
world. So I made the upload rate about 50%, or 6kB/s, 2 getters
instead of 4.

    Made a world of difference. My internet connection became
completely usable, yet in the next hour after restarting (it
resumed where it had been stopped) bittorrent started going. Took a
while to ramp up, but then started getting over 300MB/hour (50% of
my normal speed). About 6 times as fast as when I first tried with
the default config.

    So I was wrong. Bittorrent does make sense for getting Mandrake
iso's.  Specially since Mandrake depends on donated mirror space
and bandwidth, and torrent goes easy on both.  And since the
reduced upload rate makes my connection otherwise completely
usable, I intend to keep torrent runnin long after my d/l is
complete. It's only fair to do so.  Thanks,