October 17, 2003 07:56 am, Tom Brinkman wrote:
[..]
>    When BT froze (not BT's fault), I rebooted to change some bios
> settings for the ram. I've since learned why BT wouldn't start up
> again after I rebooted. My connection is dynamic, and my IP had
> changed when I reconnected.
>
>     You need to d/l a new mytorrent-<userID>.torrent file every time
> your IP changes. Otherwise you'll get that 'can't connect to
> tracker' error.  Somehow I missed that instruction, but luckily
> d/l'd a new torrent file on a hunch ;)
>
>     AFAIK, to make your own CD's you need to d/l the entire 9.2 tree
> and use 'mkcd' to create CD's from it, specifying size (650, 700
> mb).  You'll need to look for and study any docs you can find. I've
> never done it.  Probly be easier to make a floppy image and do a
> ftp install.  Tho I've never done that either ;)

FTP installs are problematic even with a moderately fast broadband connection.
My cable routinely connects to mirrors at 300 to 400 KB/sec and an install
still takes more than 2 hours on average. Depends on the number of packages
selected though I suppose.

I believe an hd install from a local mirror made using rpmsync, fmirror, or
rsync would save grief. Assuming of course the space for the trees is
available.

Making a set of disks is not really hard, just aggravating. Syntax has to so
precise and the flags need to be in a specific order to make it work. I've
managed it a few times but it may just lead to frustration.

>    Just another comment:  Over 4,400 people have gotten the complete
> iso's, but only 318 are currently still online to upload them to
> others.  That's not very nice. Seems a lot of people got theirs and
> then selfishly disconnected.  The torrent idea depends on people
> staying online .... specially after they're d/l is complete.
>   http://torrent.mandrakesoft.com:6969/

Depressing isn't it? The last time torrent was used to share the ISOs (RC2) I
had already rsync-ed a set from one of the mirrors and fed back the upload at
an average of 60 KB/sec for more than a week. The same thing was happening
then. I'd still make the bandwidth available again, but I have no intention
of accessing the club torrents to get the ISOs. There are too many willing to
download and not enough willing to return the favour.

I'll just wait for the 7 disk "Power Pack CDs Only" set to get here.

Regards;
Charlie
- --
Edmonton,AB,Canada User 244963 at http://counter.li.org
Cooker on kernel 2.4.22-10mdk
08:50:44 up 26 days, 22:13, 1 user, load average: 0.15, 0.12, 0.39
When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him
keep her.
                -- Sacha Guitry