On Wednesday 15 October 2003 01:05 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
>     This mornin I got up and was readin my email. Much of which was
> down on bittorrent (sux!), much of which was very positive. So
> what'a heck, I started a 9.2 iso torrent after checking here,
>    http://torrent.mandrakesoft.com:6969/     to see how many givers
> and getters were online. After the first hour, my upload connection
> was maxed out. Making sending email, even surfing very slow. I was
> getting about 5kB/s down, but uploading 12kB/s up.  SOS, seemed as
> bad as my prior experience gettin cooker iso's with torrent.
>        -BUT-
>     Many of the positive on torrent posts, gave the links and even
> posted the edits to tweak bittorent to increase performance and not
> kill your connection for other use. I decided to try. During my
> prior cooker experience, I was usin bittorrent on the CL. This time
> I was usin the GUI.  So I stopped the current torrent.
>> the default config.
>
>     So I was wrong. Bittorrent does make sense for getting Mandrake
> iso's.  Specially since Mandrake depends on donated mirror space
> and bandwidth, and torrent goes easy on both.  And since the
> reduced upload rate makes my connection otherwise completely
> usable, I intend to keep torrent runnin long after my d/l is
> complete. It's only fair to do so.  Thanks,
Tom, is there anything special one has to do to connect with a tracker? Open a
port or whatever, I have a Lynksys router with the 688x ports forwarded, but
have not gotten a tracker since starting yesterday. The folders were  made
automagically and files for the iso's but they are 0 bits. Any suggestions?
Grasping at straws to make sure I have this set up right.
--
Dennis M. linux user #180842