On Wednesday October 15 2003 02:48 pm, Dennis Myers wrote:
> >     So I was wrong. Bittorrent does make sense for getting
> > Mandrake iso's.  Specially since Mandrake depends on donated
> > mirror space and bandwidth, and torrent goes easy on both.  And
> > since the reduced upload rate makes my connection otherwise
> > completely usable, I intend to keep torrent runnin long after
> > my d/l is complete. It's only fair to do so.  Thanks,
>
> Tom, is there anything special one has to do to connect with a
> tracker? Open a port or whatever, I have a Lynksys router with
> the 688x ports forwarded, but have not gotten a tracker since
> starting yesterday. The folders were  made automagically and
> files for the iso's but they are 0 bits. Any suggestions?
> Grasping at straws to make sure I have this set up right. --
> Dennis M. linux user #180842

   You're not askin an expert ;)  Shortly after I posted the 'I was
wrong' sentiment, the BT GUI crashed.  Well, it froze anyhow. I
killed it and restarted. But it wouldn't. Here's the steps I took;

   I used 'rpm -Uvh --force bittorrent-*' to reinstall the
bittorrent rpms. That didn't do it. Still no go. So....

   I did a similar deal with it's deps,  'rpm - Uvh --force'
libwxPythonGTK2.4-2.4.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm
wxPythonGTK-2.4.1.2-3mdk.i586.rpm
   (these are all, 9.2 cooker versions, I'm already runnin)
   Try'd again, still no go. 404. By now I wished I'd never bitched
about torrent, or said 'I was wrong' and it 'makes sense'.

   Last straw;  I deleted my bittorrent file and re d/l'd it from
Club. Voila!! (or as we say in TX, walja!!). The damn torrent
connection started goin again ... right where it left off. So I
guess when BT GUI froze, an I killed it, my.torrent file got
screwed. Re-install'n the rpms with --force was probly not needed.
Re-doin my 'download.py' edits was, again, to limit upload, speed
up d/l and keep my connection otherwise usable.

    As I started off with, this bittorBS is new to me, never been a
fan of p2p anyhow. There's a growin consensus of docs, FAQ's, an
smart BT people tho. Use the list archives, cooker, expert, an
newbie, Club links, plus Google for people smarter than me.