On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 03:30:50 +1300
Sharrea Day <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Recently I used a friend's optical mouse while fixing their PC.  As
> I'd never used an optical mouse before, I was not impressed with it in
> either Windows or Linux.  In both OS there was a noticeable delay
> before the cursor actually moved (and it was not a slow system).
>
> Just curious as to whether all optical mice are like that because I'm
> looking for a cordless mouse for another friend and have noticed that
> there are more mice to choose from in the optical range.
>
> So can anyone tell me if your optical mouse causes a delay before the
> cursor moves? TIA.

I use a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical, and I would never go back to
balls (insert crude joke here). No sign of any delay, very responsive
and smoooooooth as...well, something very smooth. If this friend was
seeing problems with an optical mouse, most likely cause is an
inappropriate surface, esp something reflective. It needs to be on a
matte surface (God, NO! not cloth, never ever use a
fabric/cloth/whatever mousepad, it picks up dirt and oil from your hands
and it's disgusting...)...sorry, bit of a sticky point with me, that
one.

Cordless, I'm not sure about, but make sure you don't have any
interference nearby, like a cellphone, radio, large block of Plutonium,
etc.

--
HaywireMac ++ ICQ # 279518458
Registered Linux user #282046