On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 09:47, HaywireMac wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:26:54 -0500
> "Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
>
> > Hmm, I'd level them all out first. Otherwise you wind up with some
> > louder than others. Can be annoying once you burn it to CD... :-)
>
> I think it would work out the same either way. Depends on the desired
> end result, and since he asked about *increasing* the volume, which -m
> may in fact *not* do...

Dons audio engineer hat....

If you normalize and find that the volume is no greater, it's because
the dynamic range is such that the peaks are already at maximum value.
This is not usually an issue with rock/pop stuff as it's almost always
produced with substantial compression, but for more variable material
you may be looking for compression rather than normalization.

Note that if you normalize -g x (where x > 1) a track which already has
peaks at the maximum range, you'll introduce very nasty distortion at
those points.

The idea to use rezound is probably a good one just because it allows
you to see what's going on.   Of course if there are 3000 tracks to
process, the CLI approach has a lot to recommend it!

HTH
Brian