Ronald J. Hall wrote:

On Friday 31 October 2003 05:47 pm, HaywireMac wrote:

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:26:54 -0500

"Ronald J. Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

Hmm, I'd level them all out first. Otherwise you wind up with some
louder than others. Can be annoying once you burn it to CD... :-)

I think it would work out the same either way. Depends on the desired
end result, and since he asked about *increasing* the volume, which -m
may in fact *not* do...

Well, I think you missed my point - I'm saying it seems that it would be better to "-m" your files, bringing them all to the same level, then do "-g x" and take them up (all of them, at the same time) to the level thats best (highest volume, without distortion).

Does that make more sense? Otherwise if you have a very loud file and a very low one, "-g x" would make the faint one better, but would probably drive the already loud file over the top, into distortion.

Also, rezound was mentioned - I've used it, its good software.

Thanks Ronald,

I don't think I missed your point . I quite realise there is a place for -m but I have created a set of .wav files all from the same source, and any variation between the sound level of each .wav file is quite deliberate and as a consequence of the nature of the music itself, after all I wouldn't want a low quiet solo coming out as load as a full orchestral statement would I , it would sound absurd. But I do take the point that when compiling an add hoc CD of various pieces where the sources are all quite different requires at least a semblance of equalisation in order to make listening to them a joy.

So at the moment I need to up the general sound levels equally without distortion and throughout the set of .wav files.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]